Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Our Nation's Capital

I spent Memorial Day weekend visiting some college friends in Washington, D.C. It was only the second time I have visited the city as a young adult, but the first time was short and I spent most of it hanging out at my friends house. Of course, I did the whole tourist thing with my family when I was about ten, but that trip didn't turn out so well. In fact, I think we had an early departure after some tramp in the hotel gym accused my dad of sexually assaulting her when he was checking out the gym equipment and unconsciously scratched his balls (which as we all know, men do without thinking the same way women drop "like" in the middle of every sentence). Needless to say, my dad didn't take it so well and I'm pretty sure there were a few F-bombs dropped to the hotel manager after he found out that this woman wasn't even an actual hotel guest, OR member of the gym.

In any case, this weekend was a much more pleasant experience, filled with my favorite glorious B's: boozing, basking, and brunching. The weather was in the high 80's and sunny (with some scattered thunderstorm showers), and since it was a long holiday weekend there were plenty of celebratory BBQ's and pool parties. I saw lots of friends from college, some I didn't even know they lived in DC. I also managed to see some people that were also visiting for the weekend, including my favorite pair of twins who were celebrating their 24th birthday with a pool party and a keg.

I drank only beer all day on Sunday, played about 7 games of beirut, and probably could have been cajoled to do a keg stand. It was definitely a college flash back. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I spent a day drinking only beer. Probably because I don't actually like beer all that much, and drinking it all day can give you the worst beer belly hangover for about two days straight. Fortunately we were able to temporarily cure our hangovers with some make-your-own-mimosas at Memorial Day brunch, and I found out I like mango juice mimosas much more than orange juice.

Apparently, Memorial Day weekend is also the weekend that motorcycling vets ride through the Mall (the one with the important buildings, not a shopping mall) with American flags attached to their bikes. Speaking of which, D.C. is so freakin' AMERICAN! Everywhere you look, there is red, white and blue; images of Obama plastered on the sides of buildings, t-shirts, pins, storefronts, sidewalks... I thought I was going to open my burger to put ketchup on it and there would be some Obama-shaped head inside it. It's nice to see that the city has so much pride for our country's president, but I have to admit I was a littler overwhelmed by all the overt patriotism.

It was so much fun spending the weekend with my friends in an unfamiliar city, but it's nice to get back to my mosquito-less, organic, hipster-ridden San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment