Tuesday, October 13, 2009

EAPA

Shortly before I moved to my beloved Divisadero neighborhood, a trendy name took on the area that has since been picked up on by all outsiders of the neighborhood (and some snobby insiders as well). That name is "NOPA". It stands for North of the Panhandle, a la New York's SOHO (South of Houston). They even named a restaurant after NOPA, on Divsadero and Hayes - which BTW is in no way considered North of the Panhandle by any directional means.

To those of you who don't live in San Francisco, the Panhandle is the narrow patch of green that leads to Golden Gate park. It's a popular spot to bike through, throw a Frisbee, play bocce ball or just lay out in the sun. It's also the crash point for the infamous Bay to Breakers event. It runs between Oak and Fell, from Baker to Stanyan. Therefore, anyone who lives East of Baker does not in fact live in "NOPA."

I live East of Baker on Mcallister and Divisadero. Technically the Western Addition borders on Golden Gate Ave, which is one block from Mcallister. You could say I live in Alamo Square, the closest corner to my house being two blocks away on Scott and Fulton, but since I can't actually see the park with the famous painted ladies from my house than I'm not sure it's fair to claim I live there. I certainly don't live close enough to Haight street to be considered in the Lower Haight neighborhood, and likewise to Pacific Heights or Lower Fillmore. So I am in no man's land, or what I like to refer to as EAPA.

This whole "NOPA" name came along when the neighborhood started to become more gentrified (which is not what I am complaining about). Faletti's gourmet grocery store entered the neighborhood, along with a few other $$$ restaurants including Poleng, Tsunami, Candy Bar, and most recently Bar Crudo. I can see why pricey restaurants would be attracted to the neighborhood. One, because there isn't a lot of competition. Two, the rent is less expensive than most neighborhoods in the city. Three, the neighborhood is becoming a popular hot spot for young professionals like myself. NOPA (the restaurant) is one of the only places in the city where you can go for a fancy dinner at 1am. It's filled with industry folk getting off from their own restaurant jobs. The food is great, and the drinks even better - if you don't mind throwing down $60+ a head. But it also attracts the Marina posh heads who stare out the wall size windows giving neighborhood passer-byers dirty looks for wearing sweat pants to the local video store. "I guess I didn't get the memo." (Thanks Miley)

Thanks to the restaurant, Yelp and 7x7 Magazine the term "NOPA" has stuck, and there's no telling how long it plans to stay. So I say, we take action now. I call on all of you Divisadero dwellers, Alamo Square inhabitants and Lower Haight hipsters: Revolt Against this shi shi word that our eclectic neighborhood has come to! And I urge you to come up with something new. My friend, Morgan suggested renaming the neighborhood "The Wig Out" since it's the end point of the famed bicycle wiggle. I like that term a lot, but for now I'm sticking with EAPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment