Monday, February 1, 2010

Meatless Balls

I've decided to go red meat-free in February. Originally this started as a wager with my parents (though, the wages were never outlined). Once I tried to stop eating meat for a week (see Veg for a Week), but I failed because I ate fish and turkey bacon. So this time I decided to be a little more specific with no red meat, including pork (I know pork is supposed to be "the other white meat" but common people - does pork look white to you?). I thought February would be a good month because it's only 4 weeks, and it's after the holidays and Dine About Town and all those other opportunities to engorge yummy pieces of steak.

Last Thursday I made my boyfriend and I some delicious skirt steak for dinner. This weekend I enjoyed a pastrami sandwich and beef slider (actually, the beef slider was only so-so and I didn't even finish it - a good start to a meatless month!). I'm looking forward to learning some vegetarian recipes from my roommate, Maddie. I'm not looking forward to a meatless superbowl; though I'm sure I could whip up some veggie-friendly apps, it will not be the same as a big bowl of spicy chili. And I suppose I won't be dining at House of Prime Rib for that icky hallmark holiday on February 14th - but then again I don't think I would dine at House of Prime Rib anyway. I may be tempted to enjoy some pork when I go to Slanted Door with my mom in a couple of weeks, but fortunately they have a menu that vegetarian foodies rave about so I think I'll be ok.

Wish me luck! I'm sure you'll hear all about it on March 1st.

2 comments:

  1. Two days and counting - out to dinner last night at Cinghaile in Baltimore - awesome meal! I had grilled calimari, hudson valley fois gras (yes very fatty but not red meat) and linguini with clams. Dad shared my calimari and had salad and scallops. Tonight, turkey chili. Tomorrow, chicken???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone put an entire plate of bacon in front of me this weekend, and even in my hungover pork-craving state, I managed to avoid it entirely.

    ReplyDelete